Clutch

Find your answers, solutions and more...

We made it much easier for you to find exactly what you're looking for on ScieMce. Enjoy our search engine "Clutch." More about bancfirst small business online banking.

AuthorTopic

  • PhD Member
  • ******
Based on material presented in this chapter, what would be the expected metabolic elimination pathway for isopropyl alcohol?

What will be an ideal response?

Marked as best answer by dark_chem

  • PhD Member
  • ******
The pathway would be expected to be similar to that of ethanol as shown in Figure 9.16.
Isopropyl is not much larger than ethanol and so absorption through small pores in the stomach
would seem likely. Distribution would be rapid due to the water solubility of isopropanol. About
10% would be eliminated unchanged, while the remaining 90% would be subject to
dehydrogenation to acetone rather than the aldehyde given that the –OH group is on an interior
carbon and not an end carbon. Acetone is water soluble and could be eliminated as is, or there
could be further metabolism in the liver; however, based on the material presented in the text,
this is as far as we can go.

Questions you may also like

Related Posts

» How important is the way in which scientific evidence is presented?
» In the scenario presented in Figure 2.5 and discussed in the section 2.5, would it matter if the data is normally distributed for application of a hypothesis test?
» Provide definitions for reliability and utility of chemical data that could be presented on the witness stand. Why are both considered part of QA?
» In the example presented in Figure 4.8, which factor would you expect to have the largest contribution to the overall estimated uncertainty and why?
» Based on the information presented in Exhibit A, explain why blue light bends more (is refracted to a larger degree) than red light. What will be an ideal response?

  • PhD Member
  • ******
Thank you soo much!